We are Mayday Saxonvale
We are a not-for-profit social enterprise, with the sole objective of delivering a sustainable plan for Saxonvale governed by the needs, priorities, and aspirations of our town.
HELP SHAPE THE FUTURE OF FROME
We are developing a fully costed and funded plan for Saxonvale
- Our architects, Andrew Kirby Architects, have developed a full site plan which will now be put to public consultation on 14th & 15th May. Feedback from the community will shape our final plan.
- The plan will then be submitted for outline planning approval (to the same level as Acorn Property Group).
- Our cost consultants, Macegreen, have completed a detailed costing analysis for the entire plan.
- We are working with our social impact development partner to establish a fully funded delivery model, with social value at its heart.
Frome and Mendip District Council will then be able to decide between the plans of Acorn Property Group or Mayday Saxonvale.
The Mayday Masterplan
- Employment – Over 11,000sqm of non-residential space, generating the jobs Frome needs, reducing the outflow of workers, and delivering Mendip District Council’s policy.
- Housing – Homes that are affordable (over 40% of dwellings), imaginative, reflective of Frome’s built heritage, high quality, and with self-build options as called for by Frome’s Neighbourhood Plan.
- Community – Saxonvale should be a community, not a development, delivering an ambitious range of place making community spaces, a new school site for St John’s, buildings for community use, and a public open air Lido.
- Landscape – A place designed for people, surrounded by spaces that capture the essence of Frome’s character.
- Environment – We recognize there is a climate emergency so the Mayday plan nurtures and protects the natural assets of the site.
- History – We respect the surviving heritage assets of Saxonvale, part of Frome’s unique character.
(Zero in support)
Rejected by Frome’s Statutory Consultees:
- Frome Town Council
- Frome & District Chamber of Commerce
- Frome & District Civic Society
In comparison – Acorn’s Plan, rejected by Frome, imposed on Frome
Acorn Property Group’s commercially driven plan, is dominated by high density apartment blocks, roads and car parking. The plan fails to deliver on Mendip District Council’s own policy on the commercial space Frome needs and affordable housing requirements.
We absolutely believe in the Saxonvale project in principle. But 300 dwellings is too many, and too greedy. Mendip and their developers are determined to maximise profit on an unsustainable scheme that doesn’t meet Frome’s economic or social needs. It will squander this once-and-only opportunity to create a vibrant town centre extension and cause irreversible damage to the town’s unique characterRichard Swann, Frome Civic Society
“Saxonvale has been sat empty for over 20 years, it won’t ever be developed!”
Saxonvale Myths Busted